August 27, 2011

Crock-pot Steel Cut Oats


I rarely take time out to cook breakfast in the morning. It's my favorite meal of the day, but I'm always in a rush and would rather spend more time eating it than prepping it.

That's why this recipe is so perfect. Stick everything into the crockpot at night, then wake up in the morning and eat!


I love this oatmeal because it is a blank slate for toppers. It's not sweetened, so you have the freedom to use anything you want. Right now, my usual toppers are blueberries and a banana or peach, but there are lots of ideas below the recipe.

On this bowl, I had blueberries, natural peanut butter & maple syrup.

While you're here, check out my new widget at the end of the post with links to 3 other posts you might like! And the Bup designed a new header for me...do you like it?




Crock-Pot Steel Cut Oats
Inspired by HealthySlowCooking
Serves 4-6


1 c organic steel-cut oats
2 c unsweetened almond milk
2 c water
2 tsp vanilla
1 T cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg


Spray the crockpot lightly with cooking spray to keep the oatmeal from sticking. Combine all ingredients in crockpot, stirring briefly. Set to low and let cook overnight, or 7-9 hours. Once cook time is complete, stir well (It will look very wet at first. Don't worry!) and serve. Store leftover oatmeal in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

Toppers
Here's the fun part!

1 banana, sliced or mashed & stirred in
1 peach, chopped
1 apple, chopped
1/2 c blueberries
2 T dried fruit
1 T nuts
1 T shredded coconut
1 T nut butter (I love pb or almond butter!)
1 T maple syrup
1 T agave syrup
1/4 c almond milk
1 T jelly/jam/preserves




Question: What toppers to you put on your oatmeal? I'm always open for suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. I love berries and nut butter, but all the toppings you listed sound great! Crock pot oatmeal is the best--I need to remember to do this more often.

    Your header looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...